Reliability Prediction Procedure for Electronic Equipment
Document Number SR-332
Issue Number 03
Issue Date Jan 2011
ABSTRACT: Reliability prediction is an important element in the process of selecting equipment. These predictions provide necessary input
to system-level reliability modes for predicting expected downtime per year and system availability. Issue 3 of SR-332 provides all the
tools needed for predicting device and unit hardware reliability, and contains extensive revisions since the document was last issued.
The Telcordia Reliability Prediction Procedure has a long and distinguished history of use within and outside the
telecommunications industry. Issue 3 of SR-332 provides the only hardware reliability prediction procedure developed from the input and
participation of a cross-section of major industrial companies. This lends the procedure and the predictions derived from it a high
level of credibility free from the bias of any individual supplier or service provider.
Issue 3 of SR-332 contains:
- Recommended methods for predicting device and unit hardware reliability. These techniques estimate the mean failure rate in
FITs for electronic equipment. This procedure also documents a recommended method for predicting serial system hardware
- Tables needed to facilitate the calculation of reliability predictions
- New data for fiber optic transceivers, hard drives, and ferrite beads
- Revised generic device failure rates in Section 8, based mainly on new data for many components
- An extended range of complexity for devices
- Updated formulas and FIT rates for integrated circuits
- New temperature curves for miscellaneous devices
- Clarified definitions regarding operating temperatures
- A new level to the environmental factor to account for a frequently used deployment technique
- Clarity for various component names.
Also Available!!! An Updated Version of the Reliability Software Tool that Automates the Reliability Prediction Techniques in
Select FD-ARPP-01 for more information on this easy-to-use, comprehensive software tool.
Issue 3 of SR-332, Reliability Prediction Procedure for Electronic Equipment, replaces Issue 2, and is a module of
FD-ARPP-01 and FR-RELIABILITY-QUALITY-01.
The following documents were fully or partly replaced by SR-332: TR-332, TR-NWT-000332, TA-000-23620-83-01, and IP-10425.
When using SR-332, you may need to refer to GR-357. You may also want to refer to GR-2969, SR-1171, and