Synchronous Optical Network (SONET) Transport Systems: Common Generic Criteria
Document Number GR-253
Issue Number 05
Issue Date Oct 2009
Replaces GR-1377 Issue00
ABSTRACT: GR-253 is recognized as one of the telecommunications industry's premier sources of information on overall SONET generic criteria. Its
proposed generic requirements are advocated by most committees and subcommittees of the world's leading standards organizations.
GR-253 features over 1200 proposed generic requirements for:
- Network Compatibility
- Rates and Formats
- Physical Layer
- Network Element Architectural Features
- SONET Network Element Operations
- SONET Operations Communications
Described below are several of the more significant changes appearing in this issue of GR-253. In general, these changes should
significantly assist the reader's understanding of the criteria in areas such as chromatic dispersion, wander generation, phase
variations, and virtual concatenation.
- Several sections were updated to reflect recent changes to the ITU-T physical layer and OC-768 jitter specifications.
- The impedance/return loss criteria for STS-1 and STS-3 electrical interfaces were revised to align with the specifications in ITU-T
- Significant explanatory text was provided regarding the conditions under which the wander generation requirements apply, and on
issues related to the phase variation criteria and measurements.
- Additions and revisions were made to address defects and failures that are relevant in virtual concatenation applications, and the
possibility that some SONET NEs will receive "Generic AIS" generated by OTN equipment.
GR-253 helps establish a foundation for interoperability between different
implementations of the functions described in the document.
Issue 5 of GR-253, Synchronous Optical Network (SONET) Transport Systems: Common Generic Criteria, replaces Issue 4.
GR-253 replaced TR-NWT-000253 and GR-1377.
When using GR-253, you may want to refer to GR-63, GR-78, GR-199, GR-357, GR-418, GR-468, GR-472,
GR-474, GR-496, GR-499, GR-1042, GR-1089, GR-1093, GR-1230, GR-1244, GR-1250, GR-1253,
GR-1400, GR-1469, GR-2854, GR-2915, and GR-3000. You may also want to refer to GR-436, GR-449,
GR-454, GR-839, GR-1031, GR-1312, and GR-1332.
Components of this product are:
Table of Contents:
View Table of Contents
We can accept credit cards, Wire Transfers, or Purchase Orders. For PDF, EMAIL, or DOWNLOAD media, you must complete your purchase online by credit card, or by calling Customer Service. If you have additional payment questions or we can assist in any way, please contact Customer Service. You can also go to our Ordering/Payment FAQs page for further information. See our Return Policy for details on returns.