Generic Requirements for Metallic Telecommunications Service and Distribution Drop Wires
Document Number GR-3163
Issue Number 01
Issue Date May 2009
Replaces GR-1069 Issue00
ABSTRACT: Issue 1 of GR-3163-CORE, Generic Requirements for Metallic Telecommunications Service and Distribution Drop Wires, replaces
TR-NWT-000121, TR-NWT-000122, TR-NWT-000123, TR-NWT-000124,TR-NWT-001069 and GR-1069-CORE.
This document sets forth the Telcordia view of generic requirements applicable for distribution and service drop wires deployed in
aerial and direct-buried plant applications. These drop wires are designed to connect the customer premises with the exchange feeder
cable at a terminal block or remote closure facility. This document covers the functional performance requirements for these
telecommunications wires and specifically covers the conductors, insulation, core assembly, strength and support members, and jackets,
along with the electrical and mechanical performance requirements for the completed wire products.
Issue 1 includes the following:
- Revisions for the latest insulation, jacket, and shield material technologies and other wire design changes that have occurred
since TR-NWT-000122, TR-NWT-000124, TR-NWT-001069 and GR-1069 were last issued
- Updates to broaden the allowed materials through the use of functional performance tests to replace material-specific tests for
- Harmonization with the recently revised GR-421-CORE, and other industry specifications
- Consolidation of several metallic wire documents into a single telecommunications metallic wire document to facilitate easier
- A set of requirements that are designed to encourage material and wire design innovation, while maintaining high reliability of
current metallic wire products supplied to the telecommunications industry.
When using GR-3163, you many want to refer to GR-421, and GR-209 as well as various industry standards documents.
Components of this product are:
Table of Contents:
View Table of Contents