Valve-Regulated Lead-Acid (VRLA) Battery String Certification Levels Based on Requirements for Safety and Performance
Document Number GR-4228
Issue Number 02
Issue Date Dec 2013
Replaces SR-4228 Issue01
ABSTRACT: GR-4228 presents the Telcordia and participating industry representatives' view of proposed generic criteria for Valve-Regulated
Lead-Acid Batteries (VRLAs) that are intended to function seamlessly with DC power plants and provide reliable backup power to load
equipment located in a network environment of a typical telecommunications service provider. VRLA batteries compliant with the criteria
in this document are recommended for deployment in the Outside Plant (OSP) at locations such as Controlled Environmental Vaults (CEVs),
Electronic Equipment Enclosures (EEEs), and huts, and in uncontrolled structures such as cabinets.
GR-4228 is designed to help ensure that critical stationary battery plant backing up communications or data centers will perform as
expected and remain safe for the expected life of the product. The document's objective is to:
- Simplify the complexities associated with product introduction, qualification, and deployment by providing a common framework
for evaluating and qualifying various VRLAs.
- Help ensure robust battery design and manufacturing early in the product's life cycle.
- Provide functional design and technical guidelines for VRLAs.
- Present the rationale for determining VRLA service life.
- Provide a comprehensive set of generic requirements for VRLA batteries, which includes traditional NEBS testing, battery
safety requirements, battery performance parameters, and life testing.
GR-4228, Issue 2, includes:
- Safety documentation requirements and language to align with Global Harmonized Standard (GHS) formats and regulations.
- Information regarding additional battery safety documentation to assist end-users with fire-fighting measures, chemical
safety issues, and reporting.
- Requirements requesting definitive information on battery electrolyte properties at mixtures and concentrations specific to
the batteries under review.
- Revised references to other Telcordia GRs that were published after GR-4228, Issue 1 (e.g., to align with GR-63, Issue 4).
- Recommended information on ohmic testing parameters.
GR-4228 Valve-Regulated Lead-Acid (VRLA) Battery String Certification Levels Based on Requirements for Safety and Performance,
Issue 2, replaces GR-4228, Issue 1.
When using GR-4228, you may want to refer to GR-63, GR-3108, and TA-NWT-000406.
Components of this product are:
Table of Contents:
View Table of Contents
We can accept credit cards, Wire Transfers, or Purchase Orders. For PDF, EMAIL, or DOWNLOAD media, you must complete your purchase online by credit card, or by calling Customer Service. If you have additional payment questions or we can assist in any way, please contact Customer Service. You can also go to our Ordering/Payment FAQs page for further information. See our Return Policy for details on returns.