Generic Requirements for Optical Add-Drop Multiplexers (OADMs) and Optical Terminal Multiplexers (OTMs)
Document Number GR-2979
Issue Number 05
Issue Date Mar 2005
ABSTRACT: Issue 5 of GR-2979, Generic Requirements for Optical Add-Drop Multiplexers (OADMs) and Optical Terminal Multiplexers (OTMs),
replaces Issue 4.
GR-2979, Issue 5, is the complete industry reference to support the deployment of optical networks in linear, ring, and optically
interconnected ring topologies. This document provides generic functional requirements for Optical Add-Drop Multiplexers (OADMs) and
Optical Terminal Multiplexers (OTMs). Issue 5 includes 128 NEW requirements incorporating the latest features and functionality defined
for the Optical Transport Network (OTN).
The OADMs described in the document significantly improve the flexibility and cost of operator transport networks. GR-2979
incorporates the latest features and functionality defined for the Optical Transport Network (OTN) in ITU standards such as G.709,
G.798, G.808.1, and G.873.1. The information in GR-2979 enables network operators to deploy survivable opaque and transport optical
networks with equipment that supports Optical Channel Data Unit (ODU) and/or Optical Channel (OCh) functionality.
Issue 5 contains the following updated information:
Components of this product are:
- In support of Optical Channel Data Unit (ODU) routing and linear protection, added/updated text and requirements appear
throughout the document.
- New protection switching requirements for linear ODU1 Layer protection
- New optical network management capabilities
- New definitions and requirements on the ODU Automatic Protection Switching (APS) protocol
- More detailed requirements and descriptions of Internet Protocol (IP)-based management
- Additional configuration requirements in support of ODU1 routing and ODU1 linear protection.
Table of Contents:
View Table of Contents