Generic Requirements for Indoor and Outdoor Battery Backup Cabinets
Document Number GR-3033
Issue Number 01
Issue Date Dec 2014
This Generic Requirements document (GR) describes a baseline set of requirements applicable to indoor and outdoor battery backup
cabinets. These requirements have been derived from the requirement list and testing rationale found in GR-487, Generic
Requirements for Electronic Equipment Cabinets.
The indoor/outdoor battery backup cabinet described in this GR consists of the outer-finished closure box along with its integral
hardware components, such as:
- Bonding and grounding connections
- Internal walls and braces for splicing chambers and battery compartments
- Frame and shelving tracks
- Doors, seals, and hinges.
This GR-3033 is intended to apply to cabinets used specifically and exclusively for backup battery facilities in both indoor and
outdoor locations. These cabinets may or may not have separate chambers for the electronics used to monitor, alarm, and control them
(i.e., the Battery Management System [BMS]).
Indoor cabinets include:
- Battery backup cabinets placed inside the outer physical envelope of a building or structure where the space has active
environmental controls to control temperature, humidity, and air quality of the ambient space. This includes cabinets located in domed,
covered stadiums and enclosed garages.
- Battery backup cabinets placed inside the outer physical envelope of a building or structure where the space has no active
environmental controls (e.g., cabinets found in unheated/uncooled mechanical or furnace rooms).
Outdoor cabinets include:
- Battery backup cabinets placed outside the outer physical envelope of a building or structure (e.g., cabinets mounted on roofs,
or on the outside of buildings).
- Battery backup cabinets located in open parking garages and open stadiums where the cabinets can be exposed to outside weather
conditions and pollution levels.
This document is intended for the use of manufacturers and end users of cabinets and enclosures used to house electronic or
telecommunications equipment that will be utilized in Class 3 Protected Equipment in Severe Outside Environments locations.
GR-3033, Generic Requirements for Indoor and Outdoor Battery Backup Cabinets, is new.
When using GR-3033, you may want to refer to GR-3171, GR-487, GR-3108, GR-3115, and GR-63.
Components of this product are:
Table of Contents:
View Table of Contents