Generic Criteria for Fiber in the Loop Systems
Document Number GR-909
Issue Number 02
Issue Date Dec 2004
Replaces TA-NWT-000909 Issue02
ABSTRACT: GR-909 provides system criteria for Fiber-in-the-Loop (FITL) access systems in the support of the delivery of voice, video, and data
services to residential and small business customers. These FITL systems may be deployed to deliver telecommunications, data, and video
services from day one, or they may be deployed to deliver one service category initially, where the other categories can be added at a
later date. The generic requirements in this document apply for either deployment choice. The purpose of this document is to provide
the Telcordia view of proposed generic requirements for FITL systems that are intended to be compatible with typical North American
Local Exchange Carrier (LEC) service, transmission, and operations environments.
By acting as an umbrella document for fiber optic-based loop access systems, GR-909 provides a comprehensive view of criteria and
system functionality required in FITL systems, including fiber-to-the-premises-based systems, as well as FITL systems providing hybrid
GR-909 offers network element suppliers a comprehensive set of system criteria that can be used to supplement technical requirements
provided in service provider request for proposal documents. In addition, GR-909 can serve as a catalyst for stimulating dialog between
FITL system suppliers and LECs on the required system functionality and performance levels.
Issue 2 includes the following changes:
- Updated criteria in the optical, operations, power and electromagnetic compatibility and safety areas.
- Addition of FITL system criteria in support of Fiber-to-the Premises (FTTP) applications.
- Addition of multi-service delivery network reference model.
- New criteria in support of broadband service delivery, including packet transport and xDSL specific criteria.
- All new video service delivery criteria, including video overlay and FITL IP video multicast ("IPTV").
- Addition of packet voice criteria, plus the alignment of telephony signaling and supervision criteria aligned with updates made to
This document replaces TA-NWT-000909.
Issue 2 of GR-909, Generic Criteria for Fiber in the Loop Systems, replaces Issue 1.
Components of this product are:
Table of Contents:
View Table of Contents