Network Maintenance: Alarm and Control for Network Elements
Document Number GR-474
Issue Number 02
Issue Date May 2011
Replaces TR-NWT-000474 Issue04
ABSTRACT: Minimize the Effects of Failures on Network Performance
GR-474 provides the view of Telcordia on the proposed generic requirements that pertain to the Fault and Performance Management
functions in transport and switching Network Elements (NEs) used for alarm surveillance and control. Specifically, alarm surveillance
and control functions within an NE can generate two types of maintenance information:
1. Information related to the quality or health of the transmission signal, and
2. Information related to its own internal environment.
Additionally, this GR describes the overall process that is applied to the network to minimize effects of failures that impact
network performance. They include the information required to locate and repair troubles, as well as the description of the User System
Interface at the NE(s).
What's New in Issue 2?
The following documents were fully or partly replaced by GR-474: TR-NWT-000474, TA-TSY-000047, TR-TSY-000509, PUB-43803, and PUB 49002.
- Coverage of Performance Monitoring and Environmental Alarms
- Operation and Management of External Controls
- Coverage of Automatic Restoration, Protection and Synchronization Switching, NE Safeguards, and Forced Commands
- Addition of Alarm Report Control from ITU-T Recommendation M.3100
- Addition of Tandem Connection Monitoring from ITU-T Recommendations G.707 and G.709
- Other Functional requirements and objectives that reflect ITU-T and T1 industry standards developed since Issue 1 was
When using GR-474, you may need to refer to GR-284, TR-TSY-000473, and ANSI T1.231.
You may also need to refer to GR-499, TR-TSY-000010, GR-57, GR-63, GR-78, GR-199, GR-253, GR-303,
GR-454, GR-478, GR-496, GR-820, TR-TSY-000821, GR-833, GR-834, GR-836, GR-909, GR-1244, and/or
MDP-326-140 (replaced PUB-43801).
Components of this product are:
Table of Contents:
View Table of Contents