Generic Requirements for Optical Fiber Fanouts
Document Number GR-2866
Issue Number 02
Issue Date Oct 2007
ABSTRACT: Optical fiber fanouts provide an efficient connect/disconnect capability for joining optical fibers. They are used primarily in Central
Offices (COs), at installations on customer premises, and in some Outside Plant (OSP) applications within a suitable closure. Typical
usage includes connecting equipment to the telecommunications plant, optical cross-connect points, and connecting optical test
equipment to the plant.
GR-2866, Issue 2 contains proposed generic criteria and characteristics required of optical fanouts used in the CO and OSP portions
of interoffice, subscriber loop, and distribution networks.
The Value of GR-2866:
- Includes generic functional design criteria; generic mechanical, environmental, and optical performance requirements; and
desired fanout features
- Contains test methods for comparing the product features and performance against the stated criteria
- Includes new developments in fiber fanout technology over the last decade
- Applies to singlemode optical devices in today's networks
What's New in Issue 2?
- The scope has been broadened to include other types of fanouts besides the ribbon fanouts that were discussed in Issue 1
- Fiber media type definitions have been expanded to better cover the variety of potential media characteristics (e.g., reinforced,
unreinforced, fiber-coupled, and fiber-uncoupled)
- Mechanical test load applications have been redefined to align the appropriate stresses with the expanded media type
- Features the more user-friendly format of pulling the criteria and test methods together for easy referencing
- Revised optical performance metrics based on industry input to align with current products on the market
- Fire-resistance criteria have been aligned with recent changes in national standards and in Telcordia GR-63, NEBS
Requirements: Physical Protection
Issue 2 of GR-2866, Generic Requirements for Optical Fiber Fanouts, replaces Issue 1.
Components of this product are:
Table of Contents:
View Table of Contents