Generic Requirements for Sodium Nickel Chloride (Molten Salt) Batteries for Telecommunications Applications
Document Number GR-3176
Issue Number 01
Issue Date Sep 2015
This Generic Requirements document (GR) presents the Telcordia and participating industry representatives' view of proposed generic
criteria for sodium nickel chloride (molten salt) batteries, which are being considered for wider introduction within
telecommunications networks. This GR provides users with a consistent set of criteria to evaluate the safety and fire protection
implications of introducing sodium nickel chloride batteries into their facilities and network environments.
The objectives of GR-3176 are to:
- Simplify the complexities associated with product introduction, qualification, and deployment by providing a common framework for
evaluating and qualifying sodium nickel chloride battery technologies relative to other alternative battery technologies.
- Help ensure robust battery design and quality manufacturing.
- Assure safety and evaluate the effectiveness of protection circuitry.
- Provide functional design and technical guidelines for this new technology.
- Present commentaries that address the complexities of assessing sodium nickel chloride battery service life.
This document includes:
- Specific safety and performance characteristics of sodium nickel batteries, which should be available for comparison with
traditional lead-acid batteries and other alternative battery technology deployments.
- Information regarding safety documentation, which will assist end users with planning of fire-fighting measures, chemical safety
issues, and specific personal protective equipment required for safe handling and maintenance of sodium nickel chloride battery
GR-3176 addresses sodium nickel chloride batteries that are shipped fully assembled as 48-volt systems with an integrated electronic
Sodium nickel chloride batteries that are compliant with the criteria in this document are recommended for deployment in the Central
Office (CO), Outside Plant (OSP), and at locations such as Controlled Environmental Vaults (CEVs), Electronic Equipment Enclosures
(EEEs), huts, and in uncontrolled structures such as cabinets.
Components of this product are:
Table of Contents:
View Table of Contents