Generic Requirements for Metallic Telecommunication Wire
Document Number GR-492
Issue Number 02
Issue Date Jun 2013
Replaces TA-NWT-000492 Issue02
GR-492, Issue 2, sets forth the Telcordia view of proposed generic requirements for telecommunications rural, block, and single-pair
aerial service wires for use in Outside Plant (OSP) applications. This GR covers functional criteria, generic mechanical and electrical
requirements, and test methods to help compare the products against the stated requirements. The generic requirements in this GR are
necessary to meet the minimum operational compatibility or service consistency needs for users of these products.
Issue 2 includes the following changes:
- Updates test procedures and criteria, and removes outdated cross references.
- Updates the requirements for polyolefin and other insulation materials to create functional performance criteria and move away from
implicit material-specific requirements.
- Updates jacket materials and finished product requirements and tests.
- Updates the procedures and criteria for electrical requirements while reviewing, where necessary, the electrical transmission
capabilities of these OSP wire products.
- Revises the packaging and product marking criteria to harmonize with revisions to other metallic telecommunications wire GR
- Covers copper-clad steel conductors for OSP products that are used for applications where long spans, strength, and mechanical
robustness are especially important.
- Provides harmonization and coordination with GR-137, GR-421, GR-3163, GR-3164, and other relevant industry specifications (i.e.,
UL, ICEA, TL 9000, etc.).
GR-492, Issue 2, replaces GR-492-CORE, Issue 1; TR-NWT-000121; TR-NWT-000123; TA-TSY-000125; TA-TSY-000127; TA-TSY-000128; and
When using GR-492, you may need to refer to GR-126, GR-137, GR-421, GR-3163, GR-3164, and/or several ASTM
specifications. You may also want to refer to ISO 9000 and 9004 documents.
Components of this product are:
Table of Contents:
View Table of Contents