Telcordia Notes on Advanced Voice Services (AVS)...FREE
Document Number SR-NOTES-SERIES-16
Issue Number 01
Issue Date Aug 2001
ABSTRACT: Notes on Advanced Voice Services (AVS), a new release in the popular Telcordia Notes series, takes you from the fundamental
implementations of the many consumer services currently deployed, through the possible network architectures that support these
services, to current and future trends and services under industry discussion. Based on the latest information available in the
telecommunications and networking industry, this Special Report (SR) introduces the vast area of consumer services. This document, from
the company with a unique legacy of expertise in this field (Telcordia has published industry requirements and standards related to
voice services since the 1980s), provides the latest information on current issues and evolving activities impacting consumer services.
The SR brings the reader quickly up to speed in areas of service definition and deployment, as well as ongoing issues that often impact
the customer perception and acceptance of services. With Notes on AVS you will learn about:
- The current market for popular, revenue-generating services such as Caller ID and Call Waiting, as well as marketing strategies
being used by providers to increase service penetration.
- The service-specific capabilities and interfaces that must be implemented to support existing services as well as newer services
still in the early stages of deployment.
- Possible network architectures that support consumer services and the advantages and disadvantages that each offers.
- Potential services including Internet services, speech recognition services, and combined voice/data services that are either
beginning deployment or are still in the conceptual phase.
- Ongoing issues (e.g., unavailability of calling name/number, customer privacy expectations, universal service design) that
providers often must address to maintain a positive customer perception of services and support the large revenue stream offered by
With the Notes on...series, Telcordia Technologies has devised a starting point for your search through the rapidly developing world of
telecommunications. Written by the authors of the successful Telcordia Notes on the Networks document SR-2275, this series
similarly contains technical material of interest to engineering and planning groups, as well as descriptions of the characteristics
and background of these subjects in layman's terms. The difference is that Telcordia Notes on...zeroes in on one technology in each
document and breaks it down into manageable terms. From the history, background, and basic elements through a discussion of what the
future may bring, our subject matter experts cover the important aspects in as few words as possible. Each document in the series deals
with complex, highly technical subjects, and presents the information in a way that makes it accessible and understandable to a variety